Large square greetings card featuring a detail from Charles Ginner's Victoria Embankment Gardens 1912.
Victoria Embankment, built between 1864 and 1870, transformed the northern bank of the river Thames. One hundred feet wide, it extends from Westminster Bridge to Blackfriars Bridge. The reclamation of the river bank and the improved appearance of public parks were part of the growing modernisation of the city. The small park shown here is in Westminster, near the Houses of Parliament. It is overlooked by Big Ben at the left and Victoria Tower at the right. In the middle ground the statue of the Protestant martyr William Tyndale is just visible.