The Soul of a Nation: Afro-Centric Visions in the Age of Black Power album has been released by Soul Jazz Records to coincide with our Soul of a Nation exhibition at Tate Modern.
Featuring groundbreaking artists such as Gil Scott- Heron, Roy Ayers, Don Cherry, Oneness of Juju, Sarah Webster Fabio, Horace Tapscott and Phil Ranelin, this deluxe double gatefold vinyl LP edition comes with full colour inners, bonus download code, and extensive sleeve notes and photography.
Just as the exhibition surveys a crucial period in American art history, when African-American artists responded to the political climate with complex, innovative art reflecting their experience, the Soul of a Nation album shows how political themes led to the rise of ‘conscious’ black music.
Focusing on the period between 1968-75 when ‘conscious’ jazz musicians created music combining new political and musical qualities, the album shows how the ideals of the civil rights movement, black power and black nationalism influenced the evolution of radical African-American music in the USA.
Full track listing:
1. Gil Scott-Heron - The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
2. Mandingo Griot Society with Don Cherry - Sounds from the Bush
3. Roy Ayers Ubiquity - Red, Black and Green
4. Philip Cohran and The Artistic Heritage Ensemble - Malcolm X
5. Sarah Webster Fabio - Sweet Songs
6. Phil Ranelin - Vibes From The Tribe
7. Horace Tapscott with the Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra - Desert Fairy Princess
8. David McKnight - Strong Men
9. Joe Henderson - Black Narcissus
10. Oneness Of Juju - African Rhythms
11. Doug Carn - Suratal Ihklas
12. Duke Edwards and The Young Ones - Is It Too Late?
13. Carlos Garnett - Mother of the Future
The album cover features a cropped image of Barkley L. Hendricks’ Icon for My Man Superman (Superman Never Saved any Black People – Bobby Seale) 1969.
You should receive your order within:
3-5 working days for UK
5-7 working days for Europe, USA, Canada, Fast East and Australasia
7-10 working days for the rest of the world
We aim to deliver custom prints within 14 days. As each print is individually made they take a little longer to prepare. Orders will be dispatched separately from any other item you might order from Tate Online Shop.
Free standard delivery for orders over £50 (excluding certain limited editions).
For orders under £50
Standard UK delivery £3.60.
Custom prints UK £7.50
Insured UK courier £25
Certain limited editions may have higher delivery charges due to their size and value.
For delivery costs for other countries and more information on delivery click here.
Tate Online Shop want you to be totally satisfied with your purchase. If for any reason you are not entirely happy with your order – whether you have changed your mind or we have made a mistake – then please contact our Customer Service team by email at email@example.com or by phone on +44 (0)20 7887 8869 (Monday – Friday, 9.00–17.30).
For more information on refunds & returns click here.