is one of two very large paintings that Blow made in the late 1980s by throwing paint at the canvas to produce a large, open V shape. This technique is strongly associated with the American abstract expressionists, but her Blow uses its energy to create a colourful, joyous painting.
Date of work
Original: Acrylic paint, cardboard and paper on canvas 260 x 260 cm © Estate of Sandra Blow
Sandra Blow (1925 - 2006) was a British artist born in Newington, London. She studied at Saint Martin’s School of Art from 1941-6, and briefly at the Royal Academy schools before leaving to study in Italy at the Accademia di Belle Arti, Rome. It was there that she met fellow artist Alberto Burri, with whom she formed a working and personal relationship, with the pair continuing to produce works in response to each other throughout the 1950s and 60s. In 1960 Blow became a teacher at the Royal College of Art, and was elected to the Royal Academy in 1978. She is best known for her pioneering abstract works, utilising collage and unusual materials such as liquid cement.